Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, and we’ve got you covered when it comes to buying the perfect gift or finding the best places to eat, drink and be merry. From a semi-formal to a silent film, tacos to three-course meals, there’s something for all the lovers—and the single folks too—to do in Somerville.
Where to Buy Gifts for Your Sweetheart
- Pick up some stone ground chocolate handmade right here in Somerville from Taza—they’re celebrating their tenth anniversary this V-Day.
- On February 12, head to Somerville Local First’s Valentine’s Day Market at the Armory and shop for gifts from over 40 local vendors.
- Get hands-on at the Armory and make a little something for your someone. Heather Irvine is teaching a special V-Day-themed class on Herbs, Spices & Foods for Romance on February 13.
- Grab a gorgeous Valentine’s bouquet for the one you love from Wild Folk Studio.
- The quickest way to someone’s heart is generally through their stomach, so send a heart-shaped pizza to your crush. City Slicker Cafe will serve up heart-shaped pies all Valentine’s Day long.
Pre-V-Day Fun in the ‘Ville
- Looking to start celebrating love a little early? Take your date—or, just like in middle school, your raddest friends—to the February 11 Union Square Semi-Formal hosted by Gracie’s. Relive those glorious, awkward days in your semi-best with booze and ice cream!
- Celebrate somewhat silently at Aeronaut on February 12, where they’ll be screening a classic Buster Keaton romantic comedy accompanied by live music from Jeff Rapsis. It’ll make for a pretty rad and romantic date night.
- Wanna do something wholesome and healthy with your sweetheart? Head to Brooklyn Boulders for their Heart Stand: A Fundraiser for VDAY event. Healthy relationships, healthy bodies, supporting intersectional feminism—oh, and drinks and desserts at the end.
Where to Dine
Hungry for some V-Day specials? Here’s where to eat in the ‘Ville on the special night.
- Enjoy a “A Night of Bacchanalian Revelry” at Saloon.
- Partake in an “Aphrodisiac Valentine’s Day” at Foundry on Elm.
- Head in for a six-course tasting at Bergamot.
- Indulge in a three-course meal, and dessert, AND beer at Brass Union’s Brass Pair: Two Roads Brewing event.
- Be a Romeo (or a Juliet) and take your lover to Juliet, which is opening up Tuesday evening just for Valentine’s Day reservations.
- Posto will offer a special menu on the February 14 for you and your SO.
- The Independent is going to Shine A Light On Love—and you can, too.
- Make a reservation at True Bistro and enjoy their special V-Day—here, that stands for “vegan day”—menu.
- River Bar is going to be having some lovey dovey fun over in Assembly Row, with all kinds of shareable drinks and grub. Write a love note to your friends, the moon, your mom—or even your favorite bartender.
Going Out that Night
If you’re looking for more than a meal, here are some fun things to do.
- Brooklyn Boulders will be hosting Out To Climb: Valentine’s Edition. Mix with some cool people, climb for a bit, then go drink!
- Muse Paintbar is offering Valentine’s Day specials February 11 through 14 if you and your boo want to get a little artsy.
- The Burren will be having Open Mic Night, featuring Amy Kucharik and you, if you want to sign up and sing your heart out. Maybe do a duet with your date?
- Take your modern lover to Winter Hill Brewing Company for local author Sean Maloney’s 33 1/3: The Modern Lovers book release party.
- V-Day happens to fall right during the Somerville Theater’s much-loved Sci-Fi Festival, and Scout is teaming up with the theater to give away tickets for you and your sweetheart to enjoy a night of nerdy, cinematic romance. Head over to our Instagram, make sure you’re following both Scout and The Somerville Theater and like our post about the V-Day screening to be entered to win!
If you and your date are headed into Boston for the night, we’ve got specials for you too.
- If traditional Venetian food is what you’re craving, SRV will be offering guests the choice of ordering from two special Arsenale dinner menus or a limited menu available at the bar on V-Day.
- Grab lunch or dinner with your lover at Back Bay Harry’s. And while you’re at it, grab a shareable punch, which they’ve aptly named Unrequited Love Punch.
- What’s more romantic than bowling? Bowling and a delicious meal. Woo your special someone at Kings.
- Whether you’re single, committed, or somewhere in that weird grey area, the Valentine’s Day Dinner at Area Four is sure to have something for you. By that, we mean they’re going to have custom candy and cocktails with amazing names.
- Have a date night at Taza Chocolate Bar and snack on some chocolate and churros!
For All the Single Ladies (and Gentlemen)
- Looking to get into the spirit of the holiday? Enjoy a fun night of music, drinks and desserts in Somerville at Maybe This Time? Songs for the Romantically Delusional.
- If you’re single, don’t hate Valentine’s Day and want to mingle with some like-minded folks head over to the Dating While Progressive @SoJust Singles Party in Boston.
- If you’re single and you really hate Valentine’s Day, head into Boston for the F*CK Valentine’s Day event at Bukowski Tavern.