Blaze on Holland leaves Davis Square tense

photoA fire near Davis Square left the area feeling tense, as the flames forced lanes from Holland Street to Simpson Avenue to be shut down earlier this morning.

The blaze took place at 68-70 Holland St. across the street from Orleans Restaurant at approximately 11 a.m. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze in about an hour after arriving on the scene.

Scout wasn’t able to confirm the cause of the fire, however, a close family friend of one of the residents says the fire was started due to electrical problems at the building’s rear porch.

According to the Somerville Patch, the firefighters used chainsaws and ladders to get at the smoke and flames between the wall and ceiling of the three-floor residential building.
It was not immediately known how many people lived in the building, but no one was seriously injured from the fire.

However, three hours after the fire broke out, an elderly woman was being taken to a nearby hospital after she slipped and fell, according to the residents’ family friends.

A medical crew member confirmed that the elderly woman’s injury was not related to the fire.

The woman’s family didn’t wish to comment on the matter.

Comments