Community

Here comes Woody’s Easter Bunny

By Gabi Gage What do alcohol and the Easter Bunny have in common? Not much. However, they’re both featured attractions at Woody’s Liquors on Broadway in Magoun Square. For the past 10 years, employees of Woody’s have offered photo ops with the Easter Bunny for children, adults, rah rahs and pets alike. According to Karen […]

Luck of the roll at ‘Bit of Green’ fundraiser

Feeling lucky? Join Scout Magazines at the “Bit of Green” silent auction 6-9 p.m. at Maxwell’s Green Amenity Center located at 1 Maxwell’s Green. Roll the dice and possibly win a convertible. Yep, one lucky roll and you can score some wheels.

Sound off on Draw 7 Park redesign

Groundwork Somerville announced that it will host a meeting regarding the complete redesign of Draw 7 Park in Assembly Square by The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation from 6-8 p.m. on March 26. And they want you to speak your mind about the project.

Pop open a can of Soda Drinker Pro

Eight years ago, 32-year-old Somerville resident Will Brierly woke up feeling rather thirsty. While most people would just get up for a cup of water, an idea immediately popped into Brierly’s head. “Oh man, I need a soda. I need to make a first-person soda game,” he thought. Nineteen hours in front of a computer […]

Who Scans the Scanners?

In a span of 10 seconds, more than 30 cars pass a patrol vehicle stationed in Union Square. Without the officer inside lifting a finger, a system installed in her vehicle snaps pictures of each passing license plate and compares them against lists of wanted and unregistered vehicles. If one of the vehicles is a […]

Robert Publicover: Sept. 29, 1949 – Dec. 31, 2012

Robert “Bob” Publicover, the founder of The Somerville News and a prominent AIDS/HIV activist, died between 4 and 6 a.m. on Dec. 31. He was 63. Publicover was believed until his death to be the nation’s longest living survivor of AIDS. He had also been battling cancer. In May, Scout published a long profile of […]

Leveling Out

Go find an empty toilet paper roll. Place that over one eye, and cover the other with your hand. This is something like having retinitis pigmentosa, a degenerative eye disease Eileen Feldman negotiates with every step she takes. “It’ll feel disgusting to you,” Feldman says as she sips a chai at Bloc 11. “I […]

How Many Dunkin Donuts Are in Somerville?

I was biking around last weekend and, as if awakening from an orange and brown hypnosis, I suddenly realized: There are a hell of a lot of Dunkin Donuts stores in this city. Now, a heavy prevalence of Canton-based Dunkin in a Boston-abutting city is hardly that surprising. But just because Boston boasts, according to the […]

Two Squares. One Ward.

Located down the street northbound from the proposed Lowell Street Green Line station, Magoun Square has struggled to keep tenants in its buildings over the past decade. During daytime hours, foot traffic is usually limited to the occasional dog and its walker. Business owners wonder what it will take to bring commerce to their […]

Carrying the Flag

Walking past the shuttered Veterans of Foreign Wars Dilboy Post (371 Summer St.) one evening, neighbors of  Summer Street resident Tom Bok spotted his name on a sign hanging from the parking lot fence. It called for Bok to spend time in the brig, and listed his home address. Bok has become the reluctant de […]

In the Ring and Off the Streets

The Somerville Youth Development and Boxing Club (SYDBC) will take some major steps forward later this month, and not just in the ring. Sure, the club’s top young fighters are heading to the Golden Gloves competition in Lowell, their title aspirations evident in their six-day-a-week training. Then there’s club member Rashida Ellis, who will […]