Community

Somerville-based CultureHouse Launches Pop-up in Kendall Square

Kendall Square is getting a “living room for the community” as Somerville-based CultureHouse starts a several-month pop-up in a vacant storefront. Almost all indoor public spaces are commercial, with libraries being the notable exception. CultureHouse seeks to change that. It provides a place where people can come together to watch the Women’s World Cup (the […]

Preserving a Fading Culture

’Ville Native Gets People Talking About the City of His Youth Jason Faulkner likes to think Somerville grew up with him. He was raised in Spring Hill in the ’80s and ’90s, at a time when, as he puts it, the city was “a little rougher.” When he entered adulthood, artists started to pop up, […]

Sunsetters Return for Another Summer of Song

With the longer days and warmer nights comes the return of the Somerville Sunsetters, a traveling troop of teenagers that spreads song on Somerville’s streets.  A historical Somerville relic revived by Mayor Joseph Curatone in 2004, the Sunsetters dedicate their summer to street performances and will be making appearances throughout the city. The Sunsetters began […]

A Journey Through 60 Adventures

“If you told me a year, two years, five years ago, that I would ever, ever, ever put myself on the internet singing, I would have told you, ‘You’re out of your mind.’” And yet, this winter, Deb Jacobs found herself posting a video of herself singing on the internet. Jacobs, 59, describes her life […]

City Starts Free Summer Meals Program

Somerville Public School’s Food and Nutrition Services Department will launch its 2019 Summer Meals Program on Monday, making breakfast and lunch available for free to all youth under 19 years old.  The program is an effort to combat youth food insecurity while school is not in session. Free breakfast is available at Foss Park Pool […]

Language and Art Build Bridges at the Center for Arabic Culture

“I want the community to know what I know, because they will love it.”  That’s what Alma Richeh says about her work at the Center for Arabic Culture (CAC), where she and others explore Arab and Arab-American cultures through art and education. For more than a decade, the center—headquartered at the Somerville Armory—has helped foster intercultural […]

Open Kitchens, Open Conversations

The Open Kitchens Project Aims to Promote Cultural Exchange Through Food Paul Castiglione has spent much of his life thinking about what it means to belong to a community. His father grew up in an Italian immigrant family in upstate New York, which in the 1930s meant facing blatant discrimination. Castiglione was always aware of […]

Diesel Celebrates 20th Anniversary with Love Stories Project

In May 1999, Diesel Cafe opened its doors at 8 a.m. to a line of people. The founders were overwhelmed by the crowds that streamed through the shop—co-owner Tucker Lewis kept having to send her parents out to restock ingredients. By 3 p.m., they ran out of coffee. They thought they’d make it a year, […]

The Welcome Project Gears Up for 10th YUM Festival

It’s the time of year again when immigrant-run restaurants from all over the city give back to the Welcome Project in a celebration of international food. YUM: A Taste of Immigrant City lets ticket-holders taste dishes from nine immigrant-run spots, including Rincón Mexicano, Masala, Istanbul’lu, and Yoshi’s. This year’s festival is scheduled for April 11 […]

Union Square Residents Move Closer to Agreement with Master-plan Developer

With the long-awaited Union Square redevelopment expected to begin construction this fall, nearby residents are working to ensure that the wide-ranging project supports priorities like affordable housing, open space, and environmental sustainability. The Union Square Neighborhood Council and developer US2 offered updates on negotiations for a Community Benefits Agreement during a meeting at the Argenziano […]

Groundwork Somerville Taps into New England Heritage

The sap was flowing on Tufts University’s campus in late January, where more than a hundred people gathered for Groundwork Somerville’s first tree tapping of the year.  Children took turns slowly drilling into the trees, hammering small spiles into the bark, and tasting droplets of sap, while program leaders explained how to identify and tap […]

Overseasoned and GRLSQUASH Present: A Guide to Feminist Food

When you ask Amy Larson how she would describe her three-year-old business, Overseasoned, she laughs. “That’s complicated,” she says. “I’ve lately been calling it a ‘culinary brand.’” Overseasoned’s first form was a series of mini-cookbooks, handwritten and illustrated by Larson each month. Then, it became a merchandise line, peddling everything from linen aprons to tea […]