Community

Big Gay Dance Party Is Back

Last year, the city decided that a Big Gay Dance Party was the perfect way to kick off Pride Month. The more than 1,000 LGBTQ people and allies who showed up to dance in Union Square seemed to agree. “It was just a huge hit, and it really showed that there was a need for […]

Incubating Community, One Jar of Yogurt at a Time

When Sam Christy’s kids were young, he was making three quarts of yogurt a week. “I just thought, ‘I bet someone else is making yogurt tonight too. It wouldn’t be much harder for me to make four quarts and share them with them,’” he says. “And I thought, ‘Hey, maybe I could do this on […]

Food System Report Examines Local Affordability, Availability

Home to an abundance of restaurants, specialty food boutiques, and food trucks, Somerville has no shortage of food. Yet even in this environment access to affordable, nutritious foods is not guaranteed. Shape Up Somerville and the Cambridge Health Alliance (CHA) set off to assemble a  comprehensive assessment of food access in the city a year […]

Meet the Bow Market Vendors

When Bow Market opens on May 12, the complex will revitalize a bizarre, “vaguely pentagonal” structure and offer up tiny storefronts for budding businesses. Many of the spaces clock in at around 160 square feet. From nabbing the renowned Comedy Studio from Harvard Square to providing brick-and-mortar spaces for beloved local pop-ups, the marketplace bears […]

Striving for Inclusivity, One Interpretation at a Time

“What is multilingual justice?” The room of teens is quiet for a moment as they digest the question from interpreter Loreto Paz Ansaldo. The youths, part of the Liaison Interpreters Program of Somerville (LIPS), work with the two interpreters from the Boston Interpreters Collective to define the term. Their definition: “Equal rights and respect for […]

PHOTOS: Juliet’s Josh Lewin Teaches at Community Cooks Fundraiser

The Cambridge School of Culinary Arts and Community Cooks have teamed up for a series of cooking classes to benefit Community Cooks, a network of volunteers who make home-cooked meals for people in need. The classes feature celebrated chefs. Juliet‘s Chef Josh Lewin guided participants through making a cassoulet on Monday evening, from butchering four […]

Redemption and Reuse on Atherton Street

At only four square miles in size, Somerville boasts architectural treasures to rival a city exponentially larger. Some of these buildings are in busy squares, such as the Somerville Theatre in Davis, so they’ve become familiar and iconic. But with Somerville’s varying topography and maze of one-way streets, some of these buildings can be far off […]

Community Leaders to Host “Celling Your Soul” Screening and Discussion

While putting together the city wellbeing report, Somerville Community Health Agenda Director Lisa Brukilacchio saw evidence of how technology is impacting health at every age level. “What we’re hearing is, from preschool providers, that they are seeing that parents are on their devices, that they’re not interacting with their young children, so that’s where a […]

Take A Peek Inside Somerville’s Museums

Check out local museums that highlight the tiny, the bad, and the historic The Friend Smithsonian Museum Martha Friend is, by all definitions of the word, an artist. After retiring from full-time work a few years ago, she dove headfirst into full-time creativity. “I was just dying to do something big and creative,” she says. […]

Planning a Thoughtful Renovation in Somerville

A stronger economy coupled with a tight housing market means more people in Somerville are choosing to stay in their homes and renovate rather than move, according to local architects. Homeowners who love the area recognize they’re financially better off investing in their property and modifying it to fit their evolving needs, says Aimee Zaslaw […]

PHOTOS: Petsi Pies Gets Into Pi Day

Dozens piled into Petsi Pies and lined up outside on Wednesday for the chance to recite digits of pi and earn free treats. The bakery offered up mini pies to people who could recite 10 digits, large pies for 100 digits, and one pie each season for a year for 314 digits. Somerville Public Schools […]