Community

TONIGHT: Juneteenth Candlelight Vigil at East Somerville Library

Juneteenth, the day marking the formal end of slavery, is today . There are protests, celebrations and observations happening all across New England, America and the internet. In our community, local activist group Just US Somerville have organized a candlelight vigil for 8:30 p.m. at the Somerville Library, 115 Broadway. Organizers ask that participants wear […]

Virtual Exhibit Portrays the Faces of Covid

Somerville photographer Katherine Taylor has been putting a human face on the coronavirus crisis.  Taylor created a website called Masks of Boston and a forthcoming virtual exhibit at the Somerville Museum.   “Who Do You Wear a Mask For?” features portraits of over 100 people wearing protective masks, accompanied by personal stories, told as textual […]

Beer Me: A Local Brewery Update

The sun is out. The days are longer and warmer. The yard work is well under way, and all I want to do after dusting off the patio furniture is sit outside with cold beer and a good book. But while the fairer weather brings with it all those telltale signs of impending summer, this […]

Porch Pride 2020: Queer Visibility, Pandemic-Style

It is Pride month and we may not be able to march this year, but we can still show up for one another. Porch Pride is a virtual pride event happening June 20, organized by Lez Hang Out podcast hosts Ellie Brigida and Leigh Holmes Foster. All you have to do is grab your rainbow flag […]

Send Us Your Dad Stories

We gotta make this quick while the toddler is distracted: Send us your Dad stories. Scout is assembling its first ever Dad Week, celebrating all the awesome dads of Somerville and Cambridge. We want to see pictures and hear stories about Dad’s doing dad stuff, especially during these last few months. We’ll be posting your […]

Front Steps Project, Essential Construction Return May 18

We’re looking for silver-linings just about everywhere these days. Things that we never thought would excite us now give us life. Who knew that we’d ever be so excited to see construction season start up? The City of Somerville recently announced a phased restart for essential construction and we are giddy. The sights! The sounds! […]

A Letter from the Editor

Hello Scouts, Nice to meet you, I’m Sean L. Maloney. I am the new interim editor for Scout Cambridge and Scout Somerville. I am excited to be here, excited about the future of this publication and the great community it serves.   You may know me as a contributing writer for Scout, DigBoston and Boston Globe. […]

Thanks, Moms. We love you.

To all the moms of Cambridge and Somerville. To all the moms in Boston and Boston and Boxford. From North Adams to North Attleboro and back to North Andover. To all the bio-moms, adoptive-moms, step-moms and friend-moms. To all the moms everywhere: Thanks for everything. We love you. The last few months have been hard […]

Sanity Saver: Puppet Storytime with the Somerville Public Library

Somerville Public Libray is the throwing parents of small children a lifeline. This Saturday marks the return of the library’s Puppet Storytime with Leigh and Friends. There’s a book, there’s a few puppets. It is very chill. Mercifully chill. Nothing is unboxed. There are no kid-fluencers. There aren’t any lightsabers or Trolls on tour or […]

Scout Supporters of the Day: Elizabeth and Lowell

Our Scout Supporters of the Day are Elizabeth and Lowell! Elizabeth likes to read Scout to learn about what’s new in her community. “I love the sense of discovery and community I get from reading Scout,” she says. “Every issue turns me on to a new place to explore, or tells the story of someone […]