Community

What’s New: Construction Zone

New design for Davis Square proposed to city planning board The city planning board convened at the end of September to discuss a new 111-page Davis Square Neighborhood Plan with residents, according to the Somerville Journal. The document proposes redesigns of streets, buildings, public space usage, and traffic related challenges, all as part of a […]

Spaceships and Superheroes: Somerville’s Twist on a Biker Gang

“A highly organized battalion of funk.” That’s how Skunk, the Fleet Admiral of SCUL, describes his SciFi Bicycle Chopper Gang to me. “Sometimes we say we make spaceships out of bicycles, that’s another catchphrase that we use,” he adds. “But we usually don’t break the wall and say ‘bicycle.’ We’re star pilots, flying ships on […]

Turning Pages Into Programs at Somerville Library’s Book Sale

Standing in the back stairwell of the Somerville Public Library—a space known colloquially as “the pink room”—you can’t help but notice how stacks of book-filled boxes tower over Friends of the Somerville Public Library president Kim Shane. Every box contains dozens of books, and there are dozens of boxes that have been stockpiled here by […]

The Somerville Switchboard

I almost always do interviews for print articles in person. But this time, I decided to make an exception. “City of Somerville, how may I help you?” Norma Douglas has been a phone operator for the city for 32 years. She’s one of two people who answer the approximately 100,000 calls that come into the […]

Community Growing Center Reopens with Strong Eco-Friendly Focus

The Somerville Community Growing Center reopened at the end of June after renovations, offering several new spaces for locals to enjoy nature, pluck produce, and attend free events. The quarter-acre Growing Center—located near Union Square at 22 Vinal Ave.—was founded by activists in the mid-1990s on part of the former Southern Junior High School property. […]

Somerville-based CultureHouse Launches Pop-up in Kendall Square

Kendall Square is getting a “living room for the community” as Somerville-based CultureHouse starts a several-month pop-up in a vacant storefront. Almost all indoor public spaces are commercial, with libraries being the notable exception. CultureHouse seeks to change that. It provides a place where people can come together to watch the Women’s World Cup (the […]

Preserving a Fading Culture

’Ville Native Gets People Talking About the City of His Youth Jason Faulkner likes to think Somerville grew up with him. He was raised in Spring Hill in the ’80s and ’90s, at a time when, as he puts it, the city was “a little rougher.” When he entered adulthood, artists started to pop up, […]

Sunsetters Return for Another Summer of Song

With the longer days and warmer nights comes the return of the Somerville Sunsetters, a traveling troop of teenagers that spreads song on Somerville’s streets.  A historical Somerville relic revived by Mayor Joseph Curatone in 2004, the Sunsetters dedicate their summer to street performances and will be making appearances throughout the city. The Sunsetters began […]