- This event has passed.
SomerStreets: Seize the Summer
August 5, 2018 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pmFree
Activities along Holland St. will include:
· Live music on two stages including Tarciso Alves, School of HONK, Off Axis, Mike Gent and
· A 40 ft water slide – open to people of all ages! Bring your bathing suit!
· Aerial Arts performance by Esh Circus Arts
· Interactive activities with Buzzroar Interactive for all ages including balloon toss & water balloon
· Beer garden sponsored by Remnant Brewing
· Parkour play area with Parkour Generations
· Hockey, interactive activities, preschool games and other fun with Somerville Recreation;
· Vintage and artisan market by Somerville Flea
· Martial arts performance and demonstration class with Oom Yung Doe
· Explore a fire truck or ambulance;
· Craft vendors, and community vendors and local businesses;
· And more!
To ensure public safety at the event, the following road closures and parking bans will be in effect.
Sunday, Sept 16: Strike Up the Band: Highland Ave. (School St. to Lowell St.)
Sunday, Oct 14: Monster Mashed-Up: Somerville Ave. (Hawkins St. to Spring St.)
(Rain Date: Oct 28)
All events are 2-6pm, the August and September festivals are rain or shine
SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally-renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
SomerStreets builds on the Shape Up Somerville healthy living initiative. Similar open streets events take place all around the world, providing space normally taken up by automobile traffic for people to be more active.
SomerStreets is an annual series that takes place one Sunday per month June through October.
Craft vendors are being curated by the Somerville Flea.